James’s litigation practice focuses on defending tort and insurance claims of all kinds, including motor vehicle accidents, occupiers liability, product liability, and property damage. James has acted as counsel on a number of contested motions in Ontario Superior Court. He has also appeared as co-counsel at trials in Superior Court and appeals at the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
James graduated cum laude from the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law in 2008. He is proud of having been a member of the University of Ottawa team in 2008 that won the Gale Cup national moot court competition. The team also won the Peter Cory Prize for Best Factum, and James was awarded the Brian Dickson Medal for Best Oral Advocacy in the final round. After articling at a national firm, James was called to the bar in June 2009, and joined Zuber & Company in June 2010.
James was born and raised in Belleville, Ontario. When not litigating, he is most likely spending time with his wife and their two rambunctious young girls.
Some of the notable decisions where James appeared as counsel or co-counsel include the following:
- Chiocchio v. Hamilton (City), 2018 ONCA 762, 143 O.R. (3d) 348. Successfully appealed the trial judge’s finding of liability against the City of Hamilton for “non-repair” of an intersection.
- Smith v. Safranyos, 2018 ONCA 760, 143 O.R. (3d) 22. Appealed the trial judge’s finding of liability against the City of Hamilton, in another case of alleged “non-repair” of an intersection.
- Mohamed v. Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology, 2018 ONSC 494. Successfully opposed a plaintiff’s motion to add two nursing homes as defendants to an action, on the basis that the draft amended claim disclosed no reasonable cause of action.
- Sickinger v. Krek, 2016 ONCA 459, 132 O.R. (3d) 548; affirming  O.J. No. 4021 and  O.J. No. 4022. In a case arising from an oil spill in 1990, successfully brought a motion to dismiss a Third Party Claim for delay. The motion judge also held that our client had standing to bring the motion even though it was a dissolved corporation. The decisions were upheld by the Court of Appeal.
- Candito v. Nmezi, 2015 ONCA 793. Motion at the Court of Appeal to extend time for perfecting an appeal. Motion granted with costs.
- Seif v. Toronto (City), 2015 ONCA 321, 125 O.R. (3d) 481. Acting for a plaintiff in a trip and fall case, successfully appealed a motion judge’s decision to dismiss the action by way of summary judgment.
- Beck v. Chmara, 2014 ONSC 4874. Obtained judgment on behalf of a plaintiff through a motion to enforce a settlement agreement.
- Thornhill v. Highland, 2014 ONSC 3018 and 2014 ONSC 3877. Co-counsel for the defendant in a bench trial concerning an oil spill at a rural farmhouse. The action against our client was dismissed with costs.
- MacDonald Estate v. Highland Fuels Dundalk Ltd., 2014 ONCA 67. In an oil spill case, successfully brought a motion to dismiss for delay. Upheld by the Court of Appeal.
- Bhattacherjee v. Marianayagam, 2013 ONSC 40. Granted summary judgment on behalf of a defendant in a motor vehicle accident case.
- Higgins v. Barrie (City), 2011 ONSC 2233. In a slip and fall case, successfully opposed the plaintiff’s motion to add our client as a defendant, on the basis that the limitation period had expired.